Saturday, July 2, 2016

ModeJuly2016 Item 1

At the group's official website, they've been running the #ModeMay photo challenge for the last two years. Every day of May has a theme and fans are encouraged to post photos of related items to Instagram of Twitter.

I like the idea a lot but since I don't have Twitter or Instagram accounts, I'll do it here and call it ModeJuly (after all, three of the five Depeche Mode members, past and present, celebrate their birthdays in July).

Hopefully, under the ModeJuly2016 tag I'll be posting some of my pretty naive DM fanart pieces and prоbably some writing all through this month.

***

Here's Item # 1: The scan of a chorus of "Boys Say Go" rendered in cut-and-past, punk fanzine style, dating back to circa 2006.

 

When I was a teen I never used to have posters on my walls but I'd draw or collage on them.

Like, once, shortly before the planned change of wallpaper, I painted the whole wall of my room with gouache noodles.

I also kept a self-designed logo of my favourite local electronic band on the wall above the window in my room for more than a year.

This Mode fanart used to be assembled and glued to the wall of my room, and you can still see pieces of the old wallpaper under the letters. Most of the letters were cut from Russian magazines, many of them came from a back issue of "Hello" magazine in English that somehow made its way into the bargain bin of a local shop (the "e" in "meet" and "d" in "don't", definitely).

When the wallpaper was finally scraped, I carved the picture out with a paper knife and glued it to a piece of cardboard. (On that wall I also had a "Boing Boom Tschak!" letter collage -- too bad I didn't keep it).

Why "Boys Say Go!", of all things? Back in May 2006, at 20, I bought a "Speak & Spell" CD, which was only the second DM album I got to listen to in its entirety (the first was "Songs of Faith and Devotion" back in 1999, at 13 -- "Speak & Spell" would've been a better option at that age!), and, being a long-time Erasure fan, loved it at once and learnt all the songs with their quirky lyrics and instant tunes by heart.

"Boys Say Go!" was a very cool song -- vaguely gay, kinda tough, simplistic but extremely efficient, with a chorus that could stand for a motto of some subversive subculture. These words looked good in print, so I made them into this picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment